Home Energy Audit
What is a home energy audit?
To make the most of your energy-saving potential, we utilize our 360° Model to assess your home as a system. The areas and components of your home are intertwined, thus always working together.
An home energy audit is a full top-to-bottom inspection and analysis of the performance of your home. This assessment identifies and pinpoints where you’re losing comfort and energy across every area. The energy assessment will be conducted by a Building Performance Institute (BPI®) Certified professional who specializes in Greenlink’s 360° whole home building science approach.
There are two types of energy assessments: simple and complex. At Greenlink, we are confident that either type will allow us to diagnose complications and provide you with the most effective solutions. Our knowledgeable assessors specialize in Greenlink’s 360° whole-home, building science approach and will perform a thorough inspection and analysis of the performance of your home. These assessments are powerful tools for uncovering opportunities for improvements that will reduce energy costs, improve comfort, and lead to higher performance.
The benefits of a home energy assessment
Energy audits are a powerful tool for uncovering opportunities for improvements that will save energy, reduce energy costs, and lead to higher performance.
- No-cost operational or maintenance adjustments that will save you money and energy
- Short-term, low-cost energy efficiency retrofit recommendations
- Action plans, customized for your home’s needs, for energy efficiency capital investments
- Comfort and code issues that can be addressed immediately
- Opportunities for better adherence to lighting, comfort, and building standards
- Qualified to receive the Focus on Energy Home Improvement Incentives * Wisconsin Residents
The Greenlink WHOLE Home Energy Audit Process
The auditor walks through each phase of the energy audit process with quality, experience, and your concerns in mind.
Phase 1 – Consultation
We’ll talk to you about any concerns, questions, or comments you may have and then get you scheduled.
Phase 2 – Site Assessment
Our energy audit includes a variety of tests and analyses to identify areas where your home could perform more efficiently and safely. After a visual inspection from roof to foundation, we’ll set up our building science diagnostic equipment and begin the testing. Some of the energy audit tests we will perform include:
- Blower Door Test — This powerful fan is fitted temporarily in an exterior doorway. When activated, the fan creates a negative pressure inside the building to measure air leakage.
- Infrared Camera Imaging — This allows us to “see through” walls and ceilings during blower door operation. The temperature differences show in bright colors, so we can see where air leaks are allowing outside air to seep in, and where insulation is missing or inadequate.
- Safety Check — We’ll check for gas leakage and analyze your combustion appliances to measure and ensure that dangerous carbon monoxide fumes are not escaping into your living areas.
- Air Flow Meter — This device measures ventilation and air flow of bath and kitchen fans to ensure a healthy exchange for improved indoor air quality.
Phase 3 – Energy and Cost Analysis
The auditor reviews all the collected data and works with the team to create customized solutions and recommendations for your home. We strive to choose solutions that are cost effective. Therefore, they pay for themselves in their lifespan.
Phase 4 – Completion of the Audit Report
This information is then entered into the latest energy modeling software to provide you with an in-depth 25+ page report that defines areas of concern, safety and health hazards, and most importantly—recommendations which boost the performance and efficiency of your home. These can be additional insulation, targeted air sealing, lighting upgrades, window replacement, installing a new water heater, or even upgrading the old freezer in the garage.
Building Performance Institute (BPI) Certified Energy Auditor
The Building Performance Institute (BPI) is the nation’s premier standards development and credentialing organization for residential energy auditing and upgrade work. Our trained and certified technicians use scientific analysis and specialized tools to measure your home’s energy efficiency and safety, and you can rest easy knowing that each and every one of our home energy auditors has a BPI certification. Our certifications all under two specializations:
- Building Analyst – Assesses a home’s systems, including HVAC, ventilation, and insulation, and how they work together.
- Envelope Professional – Focuses on the exterior of the home to ensure the highest energy efficiency.
Want to know how your home is performing, think you could use some efficiency upgrades? Contact the experts at Greenlink to schedule an energy audit today!