A healthy high performance home starts with attic restoration
Besides a lack of insulation, ventilation, and attic air sealing, pest infestations such as racoons (most common) can lead to a long list of problems not only in the attic but the rest of the home as well. Animal waste can deteriorate insulation and create odor problems within the home. If not addressed, the problem worsens over time, as odors attract more wildlife, and moisture turns to mold and rot.
Many attics have issues with water infiltration, degraded insulation and rodents. To solve this problem, we offer thorough attic restoration services in Rockford, IL. We can restore your attic by cleaning it out, sealing gaps and installing new insulation – making it as good as new. We start by assessing its current condition and determining what materials can remain.
Symptoms and Pain Points of an Underperforming Attic
- High utility bills—your furnace or air conditioner always running to keep up
- Uncomfortable temperatures throughout the home or in focused areas
- Black, white, and brown discoloration on the roof deck—these could be symptoms of mold and mildew damage
- Higher than safe levels of moisture which are absorbed by existing insulation and can lead to air pollutants like mold colonies forming within
Problems of Pest Infestations in the Attic
- Animal feces and urine in your insulation
- Leftover food and food waste
- Animal and urine odors
- Mold growing in urine soaked areas
- Roundworms, parasites and their eggs
- Animal scents which can attract more pests
Benefits of Attic Restoration
- Lowers heating and cooling costs
- Keeps pests and moisture out of your home
- Forms a continuous barrier on any area applied
- Significantly reduces noise by acting as a sound dampener compared to popular insulation materials
- Stops drafts by sealing every gap, crack, or opening as it expands to fill the area
Our Attic Restoration Process
Using our 360° holistic approach of building science, we begin with the attic.
- Preparation and Removal – Building materials (insulation/wiring/debris), clean up (“for example” fixing wiring) of dust/shit. We prep the entire area with plastic all the way up to the ceiling, covering everything. We create negative pressure and use high-powered fans to ensure no dust enters other areas of the home.
- Sanitize and Contain – Use professional-grade mold and mildew neutralizer and stain remover on attic floor, roof deck (explain what this is, some people don’t get it. *only if it works), rafters (roof), joists (floor). We apply a wood-safe primer coating that inhibits mold (spencer.. Aka mold killing primer)
- Air Seal – We reduce air migrating into the attic and air leaking into your home by using a combination of fire-rated foam, caulk, drywall, and insulated foam board. We target key areas including: plumbing vents, electrical and other penetrations, mechanical chases, drop soffits, top plates, and more.
- Ventilate – Your attic needs to breathe and requires proper ventilation. We’ll ensure air flow is maximized by installing baffles, or vent chutes, in every eave and block the bottom to prevent wind washing.
- Re-insulate – Once air sealing and ventilation are complete, we’ll start blowing in cellulose insulation. The final depth will be about 16” which is equivalent to an R-49 which is code.
Think you’re suffering from an underperforming attic or have a pest infestation? Contact the certified experts at Greenlink Energy Solutions for a free site inspection, evaluation, and consultant. We’ll work with you and for you if filing a claim with insurance for pest and rodent damages.